Monday, December 14, 2015

One Tree Hill, you inspire me.

Nine long seasons of goodness. Gone.

I remember when I started watching it for the first time. I was all, "Woo-hoo! Nine seasons?! This'll take FOREVER to finish. It's only just the beginning."

But...here I sit. And just like that, in a flash, the series finale has come and gone.

I never knew such goodness in a TV series until this one.

Call me cheesy. Call me crazy. Call me weird. Call me whatever you want, but I fell in LOVE with this series. The kind of love where there characters become your family (lol) and you can relate to them and associate things in their lives with your own.

The many reasons I loved this show:

-the music.
-the quotes and literature.
-the bonds.
-the gathering places.
-the great loves.

It first aired 12 years ago, fresh out of the 90s, and really took me back to my high school days, which is another reason why I could relate so well to everything. They wore a lot of the same clothes and had the same styles of when I was growing up in those awesome days of puberty and acne development.

I also felt like it wasn't TOTALLY unrealistic. I mean it was to some degree, as every show is, but it wasn't done so overly dramatic that I couldn't find it believable.

Not everyone slept with everyone either. Which is why I also liked it. Shows nowadays have everyone getting together with everyone.

The loves and relationships of Tree Hill pretty much remained the same - and once a couple got together they pretty much stayed together, despite a few rocky roads here and there.

I don't want to recap the show here, or write a review really, I simply just want to relay how this show made me feel and what impact and inspiration it had on me.

The love of basketball and sports in this movie caught my heart. Kind of off-guard, too. I've never been big into basketball, but I think I'm going to get a hoop for our driveway now. So many good memories can be created with family and friends shooting hoops. And I don't just believe this from watching the show, but I've seen this and heard this from other family and friends.

Nathan and Haley's great love.

The way that Haley stood by Nathan to chase his dreams to get the NBA was so touching. It made ME want to be a better wife and mother. More supportive of Isaac's dreams.

The way Haley chased her own dreams in the process and the way that Nathan was supportive of her, too, just pierced my soul.

The way Haley was strong, raising a child when she practically WAS one herself, yet still doing all the things in life she wanted to do.

The way Nathan and Haley had ups and downs, but let their strong love for each other see them through. The way they were more passionate and in love with each other the more the years went on.

The way Nathan changed. For Haley. Because of Haley.

The bond of brotherhood between Nathan and Lucas.

Lucas and Petyon's great love.

The river court. The games played there. The memories made. Mouth, who started his dreams announcing games on that court.

The way Peyton confessed her love for Lucas in writing on that court.

High school.

Cheerleading. Brooke's love for it.

The lockers and halls and kisses in between classes. The basketball games and confetti after the championship game.

Watching Brooke grow into a mature and respectable woman. Finding her own true love and watching her become first an independent woman, and then a wife and mom.

All of these moments. These nuggets. These snippets of a non-reality storyline that felt so real, to me, touched so close to home, which is why I loved them so very much.

Which is why I loved the characters so very much.

Which is why I could relate to almost all of them. I could see a bit of myself in all of them.

Most of all, I loved their love for each other and how they let each of their selves change into better people. Watching them grow and learn from mistakes, watching them become wives and husbands, mothers and fathers. Being supportive of each other.

The conversations they had with one another were full. They talked about what they really felt and said, for the most part, what they really meant. They didn't leave much out like you wouldn't do in a real life conversation.

Finally, the love they had for their own town was what also inspired me. There's something special about the setting you are raised in. And even if it has changed, you still tend to remember it like it always was. And how certain spaces made you feel at different times in your life.

This is what a town does to you. You grow to know it. It's crevices, it's nooks and cranny's, the ins and outs of it's character, and the characters IN it.

You find love. You make love. You become in love.

And when you've got places like the river court and Karen's Cafe to help you along and relationships like Nathan and Haley's to inspire your commitments, life becomes a little more fun, a bit lighter, and full of love. The best love.

One Tree Hill has inspired me to write. To find the inner spaces of my soul and put them to work in my writing. To use past memories, music from my youth, passages from great authors, and stories from days gone by to dig deep within and breathe life into them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment