Monday, December 14, 2015

Sitting by the tree.

Each Christmas season I sometimes get so overwhelmed with all there is to do, including putting up decorations, that what I really would like to do is bypass it all.

By the time I spend the time thinking about doing everything I've already expended enough energy in my head over it that I'm done before I even start.

The outside lights.

The mantle decor.

The tree.

The gifts.

The making a LIST of gifts.

The BUYING of the gifts.

The WRAPPING of the gifts.

The money to BUY the gifts.

The baking.

The parades (now THESE I do not mind -- in fact they're one of my favorite parts of Christmas).

Family events, gatherings, parties, services (another favorite part of the season!).

I mean, getting down the bins from the attic is a chore right in itself.

Exhibit A: Asking your husband that you'll need his help in climbing up there to search for stuff that is probably only halfway labeled, and labeled incorrectly, some in crumpled trash bags because you wanted to get the crap put away after New Year's, and quickly...

(..."yeah hunny, just look for the bags with the twigs sticking out of them, I think those are the ones. Yeah, that's right. Unless that's my fall or Easter decor. I'm not sure, can you just bring them all down? I'll sort through and you can put back what we don't need later"...)

..takes a certain amount of strategy and skill in knowing the right time of day, and the right mood he's in, to bring it up.

You don't just ASK out of nowhere. It must be planned and thought out.

Because we know that what they're thinking is that going up to the attic for 5 minutes, once a year, is painful.

Anyhoo -- here I am sittin' by the tree with all my crumple-bagged ornaments on it. Lights a twinklin'. And....it's pretty heavenly.



Despite the nuisance of it all, once everything is up it's pretty enjoyable to look at.

There's something peaceful about sitting by the tree, alone, at night, when everything is still.

Something magical.

I like to think I'm a kid again with that sparkle in my eye, hoping and wishing desperately for Christmas morning to come. Seeing what's in those packages and unveiling all the surprises that have taunted me for weeks.

I think we all need a little peace by the lights from time to time. To enjoy the stillness. To think about the day. And prepare for the tomorrows that always come without fail.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment