Thursday, October 31, 2013

Three fall favorites in one.

Hi friends!

Last weekend we spent some awesome family time together and I wanted to share a few photos.

Three of my most favorite fall things are fires, spooky-ness (even though we don't really celebrate Halloween), and pumpkin patches. And last weekend, we did all three.

It's hard for me to admit that I like scary and spooky things because growing up, we were never allowed to get dressed up for Halloween or participate in any kind of parties related. The closest we got to the day's events was "Hallelujah Night" at church and it was always fun. But a part of me always longed to be out on the streets with the other kids doing Halloween in real style...door to door, in a costume, collecting mounds of candy that contribute to teeth-rotting.

When I look back at my memories of this day they are few. It wasn't until I was much older in my teens, that mom and pop were more easygoing about it and minded less if I went out with friends. And by that time, I was too late anyway and I didn't have much of a desire.

I don't feel like any of my childhood memories have been suppressed by the decision they made not to let me go, though. And neither does Isaac. But I do love love love the feelings this time of year brings. I love scary movies (not gory ones, but thrillers, like Joy Ride - have you seen that? Such a great movie for this time of year!) and dazzling Halloween paraphernalia that always catches my eye at Marshall's. There is something about a pretend haunted house and cobwebs that gets me excited about the season's events. And not just Halloween, but fall in general, and Thanksgiving. Leaves. Trees. Boots. And hoodies.

And though I love this eerie and mysterious time of year, Isaac and I have decided that at the moment trick-or-treating will not be on our family event agenda. It's just something we are choosing not to do. And we can celebrate the season in other ways.

So back to last weekend...

We did three things that I always love to enjoy this time of year: a fire pit, a haunted house, and the pumkin patch.

You might say the haunted house is a little the EXACT opposite of not celebrating Halloween. And I don't really have an explanation other than I just like them and wanted to go. I like what I like, I can't help it. And I like being scared (Isaac would just say I'm weird, which I am). It makes me feel cozy and warm inside bundling up to people I love in sheer fright in the Boo Radliest of nights even when my feet are frozen, as they were, on the outside.

Here are some photos of our weekend. It's weird to think that we did all three of these in one. It's a lot! But we did. And I loved it to my very core.









 
This was before going into Cox Farms. Levi was so excited he kept hitting dada in the face! And I caught one on camera!! Hee hee.




 
We visited Cox Farms our friends, Monica and Jimmy, and their two kids Juliet and Noah. Noah was asleep during this photo (he is 7 months). :)



My good friend Monica!
 


The sun was in our eyes!
 




Love to all. Have fun trick-or-treating if that's what you are up to today! Or passing out candy, or whatever you choose. But be blessed above all!

1 comment: