Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Calm

Tonight is the 18th of January. I have nothing meaningful to say except that it was a cold day of winter with more ice stuck to my car than I can ever remember.

I waited 40 minutes this morning for the thick sheet of ice enveloping my car to defrost and crack so I could break it off. Ridiculous! And I'm sorry to say, but I woke Isaac up from his deep sleep to come down into the cold, get the scraper, and help me.

January is a weird month. After New Year's ends no one really cares about anything until May or June. And the months in between are just dead, lifeless-ness of bearing cold, gusty winds and frost amidst bare trees and gray skies.

Even though it's cold outside I am trying to embrace winter this year because it is a season that, even though seems dead, does have life.

I've found a new route through Clifton this month, with Isaac's help, and taken it home from time to time to avoid 28 traffic. I have taken variations of it before, but I've not noticed its pleasantries like I have this month. I plan to stop when I have the time one day and take pics of my favorite spots.

Particularly of note, I've felt a "country-ness" spring up in my heart when driving through. With the windy roads, small-town shops and churches, and the beautiful trees it makes me feel hope to be one day be living on a farm raising herbs and children while wearing doo-wrags to pull back my hair and soak up sweat from working in the yard.

With names like Bear Creek and Bent Tree Lane, those scenic back roads tickle me. It's such a comfort to know that there is a space of peace right around the corner from bustling craziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment