Friday, August 23, 2013

Pandora 90s Pop.

My heart never knew such bliss.

I made an commitment to myself in 2009 not to listen to secular music except when exercising (or developing a fitness routine). I pretty much have stuck to that commitment - though I do intersperse Country music as my "treat" (lately it's become more of a regular than a treat though - I love country music!).

Occassionally, I will pop in a secular CD while I'm driving home from work - i.e. Justin Timberlake or Mario. Nerd! Because some days I just need a pop in my step and this does the trick. I have been doing it more lately though, or just not listening to music at all, because I'm sick of everything! I'm kind of sick of Christian "positive hits" music, to be honest.

I love worhip music and I love artists like David Crowder, Chris Tomlin, Jeremy Camp, and Britt Nicole. But some days I really can't stand the repeats and slow tempos.

Then I met Pandora.

I'm sure I'm behind in "discovering" this. I've known about it for a few years now, but really started opening the doors to it these past few months.

My current new fetish is the 90s pop station. It brings me back, yo. Back to the 90s, to high school, to my messy room with the candles and odd red lamp hanging from the wall where I danced for hours to Real McCoy, Hanson, and Ace of Base.

Currently playing as I write? Boyz II Men, Motownphilly. Helloooo 8th grade skate rink?!

What I love about it is the variety of songs and how it morphs my brain to nostalgia of old. Camping trips witih friends when I thought I was cool with my pager (remember those?!), proms, cheerleading and softball practices, and bus rides. Don't get me wrong, the jams are repeititve too, especially when it comes to Lisa Loeb, Counting Crows, and The Cardigans, but I cannot help my state of euphoric reminisce when I hear them play.

For some reason, I can justify this station, this music, more than I can listening to the [mostly] junk on 99.5 and others. Though I gotta give it up to Macklemore. Straight perfect workout beats!

Songs today are so trashy. And I can't believe people can get away with singing - or talking - what they do. In today's day and age, especially, I'm finding myself having to be extra careful with my son too. The cover of one Rihanna's latest album, Unapologetic, has her bare naked boobs on it covered up by her elbow and some text, which is currently on my husband's iPad that he plays with. Thank God for password protection so we can monitor what he does. What is this world coming to? Honestly...

I heart Christian music, but I also enjoy upbeat pop for workouts, and my 90s pop for a good throwback. It is what it is. My gut's in check and God is my King.

No comments:

Post a Comment