Friday, October 1, 2010

Reminisce

It's Friday night, October 1st. The windows are wide open and I'm sipping Pinot Grigo. Just a few moments ago I heard the Osbourn Park football game echoing outside my condo screen door--the band, the cheering, the plays being announced. It brings back memories and makes me feel like just yesterday I was cheering on the box at my own stadium football game.

The weather couldn't be any nicer today. After a week of rain we needed some sunshine and a little windy flair. I finally draped the season's first scarf around my neck and set the mood for fall. I can't believe that summer's gone. I think this summer might have been the best one of my life.

Back to the football game. There I am, 17 years old, standing on my glitter-painted box cheering for the Osbourn Eagles. Feet twirling, arms flailing, hair flipping. My boyfriend, Isaac, is up in the stands looking so cute. I was so young without a clue in the world. How many royal blue spandex had I gone through at that point? It must have been my 90th football game. But there I was, yelling and screaming for a team I knew would lose having the time of my life and anticipating the after party at Becky's. Backhandspring after backhandspring after backhandspring the adrenaline rushed over me while I took off every five minutes or so daring to pump just one more to top the last. Back tucks, herkeys, straddles, and megaphones were all a part of our game (no pun intended :)). I can't help but remember how much I loved that moment, wishing it would last forever.

Hearing the game from inside my living room with the cool breeze rushing in reminds me of so much--so much that I will never live over, but always remember. Why did I want to grow up so fast? Could I not just have enjoyed my time basking in the glory of cheer competition spotlight, short skirts, and ribboned ponytails? I miss those days even more after hearing the sound of the marching band a mile away.

Now, we're looking into buying SUVs and hard wood floors while paying bills we never knew we'd have. Life is funny. Living vicariously is good every now n' then...

No comments:

Post a Comment