Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Run

Today I took a stroll up to Signal Hill Park. It was a glorious day. Leaves sprawled about the damp ground and the fall mood setting in. It’s a beautiful park, and I have to say I love it even more because it's right near my house. Daily, almost, I will drive by and see some sort of game going like football or soccer and supporting cheerleaders.

The park is woodsy, filled with trails of all kinds and tons of things to do for kids and adults. Baseball fields, soccer fields, tennis courts, basketball hoops, grills for cooking out, and even a small pond.

Isaac introduced me to a 1.5 mile path at Signal Hill that I often run when I need a change of scenery and better than good workout. It's hilly, grassy, and challenging. He used to run it when he was in high school on the Cross Country team, twice around. And when I'm feeling good enough I'll run it twice around, too. But mostly I'll go it once, and then do some other exercises or slower-paced runs to make up for the extra 1.5 I'm lacking to meet my usual goal of three miles or 30 minutes.

I did some sprints today after I finished the 1.5 miler. Took my ol' purple weights up to the asphalt run line and let my stopwatch tell me when I was done. It was THE perfect day for an outside workout and my legs were in for the kill.

It's pretty often lately that I feel home finding me in these paths of familiar and comforting waters at places like this and moments like these. My whole world could revolve around endless, outdoor sprints and the breath of fresh air. The way I feel when I've just finished a run is more rewarding than any other feat I've dared. There's nothing like it. Nothing.

The soles of my shoes have worn down. They say after the heels start shedding it's time for a new pair. And so, I think it is. I was reading the other day that it's actually good to run bare foot once in a while. Bare foot? Are you serious? How can running bare foot be good for your feet? Apparently it strengthens your calf muscles and encourages landing on the balls of your feet, rather than the heel, which is actually detrimental to the bones and joints. I always thought it was good to land on the heels of your feet. Who knew?

Anyway, here are a few pics I snapped of today's venture. Am I a dork, or what? Signall Hill October Day 001

Signall Hill October Day 004

Signall Hill October Day 007

Signall Hill October Day 008

No comments:

Post a Comment