Sunday, October 10, 2010

Saturday Night Thoughts

As I got out of my car and walked into my condo tonight after a night of Starbucks and Social Networking (the movie) with my Tommy Hilfiger purse in my right hand and the sound of my Nine West heels going click-clack, I began to think just how lucky I am. Feeling the best I've felt in a long time, physically, and my emotional tank filled after a night of girl talk and special occasion green eyeshadow-wearing I found myself thinking about all the blessings in my life.

Knowing that it would be moments before I settled in to my warm house and begin writing to you I was filled with deep appreciation for this life. I know. I am utterly the most adjectively feeling-oriented person on this planet with so many describing and memory-making habits it makes even me naseous at times. I can't help it. I am just a ball of hearty feelings inside.

I also couldn't help but stop and think, what if that were all taken away, in an instant. How would I feel? I would feel distraught, disoriented, broken, bare, and naked. What if I came home, one night, and my house had gotten broken into, or my car? Or what if my condo building burned down? What if our house foreclosed or I lost my job? What then? Would I still feel the same?

Living this life is so hard, sometimes. But it is also easy for a lot of us. We have everything we need - and then some. I began wondering how I would really feel if I lost it all. If I did not have a home to come to after a hard day's work or a leisurely day of hanging out. I wouldn't know what to do. Where is all my trust, my faith?

Often I walk along, like tonight, up to my condo and get carried away with myself--like the world owes me a favor--like I am nothing without my strategically ripped jeans or my silver hoops. And by the grace of God something comes over me and humbles me instantly, reminding me that if I get get too caught up I will be awakened sooner or later and probably in a way I wouldn't have preferred. God sure knows how to test us in a timeley fashion. He knows exactly how and when we need a check on our ego, and our humility.

I, like most Americans, love my things. And I know I am blessed beyond measure behind all the bills, student loans, and unexpected expenses. But like tonight, I am so excited to unexpectedly tune into the reality that they're just things. That life is so much more than fancy purses and lazer hair removal. And then I ask myself to really understand, how content would I be without them?

No comments:

Post a Comment