Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Letter of Recommendation

I had the high privilege of writing a letter of recommendation for one of my good friends slc (Shanna Leigh Cancel, or slj as I knew her, for Shanna Leigh Jager. I can't help but use Jager. It's what I'm used to and it's so striking, don't you think? She's also known as Shannie, Shan, and audio chat buddy. OK--enough). Anyway, sorry for the momentary relapse in history. Gayyyyshhhhh memories. "Seriously, stop Mellie!"

Why did you ask me to write your letter again, Shannie? You could've asked Les, who has far more screws intact than me. She would've done a better job. But then again, I wouldn't have been able to put in a good word for you on all those drunken nights at the Lakeland pub we had where you pulled me off the bar-top while I was line dancing to Coyote Ugly songs. No wait...I meant when you thoughtfully filled up my coffee mug in preparation for late night cramming sessions for Dr. B's unpredictable Comm Law exams. WWTF (Where was The Fun)? Ohhh the joys of Senior year (or was it junior) taking classes that were pertinent to our degree, but we could care less about. Where's the fun in college when you can't complain about your classes and your professors and your schedule and your dorm and your tuition and your Delta Pi? Oh wait...that was me. Sorry...I know the open door policy got on your nerves.

No seriously...here's to Shanna everyone. A great person, inside and out, who deserves the recognition she has earned. Read and enjoy. Audio Chat ya later!

"Dear Graduate Coordinator,

I am writing this letter of recommendation for Shanna Cancel, applicant for the School of Art and History. I have known Shanna for almost 10 years. I met her in college, at Southeastern University in Lakeland, FL, when she became a new resident of the dorm hall that I was assigned to as a “Big Sister”, in a group called Delta Pi. I also co-photographed her wedding in 2007. Over the years, she became not only someone who was just living in my hall during college, but a lifelong friend, a leader, and a confidant.

Shanna is a very hard worker. Not only is she studious and reliable, but also she is creative, talented, and sets very high goals for herself. Shanna has a great sense of humor, as well. She is innovative, has a good moral character, and is lots of fun to be around.

Shanna has demonstrated her creativity through many projects that I worked with her on in college. Since we obtained the same degree we were assigned to many of the same classes and elected to be on the same team for all kinds of assignments. She was always the one who would volunteer to do the graphics, or the artwork, for any group project we were involved with. She loved creating new designs and getting opinions from her peers and was the first to volunteer to help layout the yearbook. She loved getting her hands on anything that involved Art.

I remember during one of our senior projects we had to create an entire campaign from the ground up. We volunteered to help with a natural disaster with her parent’s non-profit disaster relief organization. In developing that campaign I learned a lot about Shanna’s family. Additionally, I learned that Shanna had already been working with her parents in this organization to develop a logo, a website, and marketing material. Her portfolio was already beginning to thicken and we hadn’t even graduated yet!

Shanna told me that she is seeking an MFA in Studio Art because she is ready for another challenge and because she is eager to learn something new. As she has sailed through her undergraduate degree, obtained a prestigious job in the Graphics field, settled into a home, and started a family, she is yearning for more.

I highly recommend Shanna for this program and have the utmost confidence that she will achieve this new goal. Since I’ve known her, she has always followed through on everything she has committed to because her passions are clear and her ambition is strong. I believe that with her God-given talent’s she can and will do great things.

Sincerely,
Melissa Gresham"

No comments:

Post a Comment