Thursday, February 11, 2010

Back to the grindstone, again...

I went in late Monday. Isaac had off Monday. I worked Tuesday. So did Isaac. Isaac and I both had off Wednesday. And I went in late today. It's funny when I hear my work say "we are on a two-hour delay," like we are in high school again.

It was a nice breezy week. I'm counting my blessings. And now, tomorrow is Friday and we have a 3-day weekend coming up, followed by a 4-day week. I'm making Isaac go see Dear John with me. Won't that be a hoot? The following Friday is my birthday and I think we are having some shindig at Carrie's for which I'm excited.

I've spent the past few days trying to figure out WHAT it is that I need to do, to put one foot forward in the direction I want to go, but I cannot figure out what that is. I have been researching and researching and reading and looking things up online, and consulting with people, but nothing is sticking.

I'll tell you what is sticking...all this snow. I think it's become a natural thing to look out the window and see white things falling. It's weird, now, when I look out and see empty air. It's almost unnatural at this point to NOT see any snow falling.

I think the snow has made us all kind of "pull together" and rely on one another. I met a neighbor named Alison who lives on the 4th floor in my building. I helped her shovel her car out last Sunday because she lives alone and didn't have any help. The poor girl had one shovel and was going the opposite of warp speed. Now I know who I can borrow a cup of sugar from.

I mean, we all work so, so hard and we deserve a break more often than we take one, I think. I wish we lived like the French do and only had to work 35 hours a week, by law. That would be nice, don't you think? We push ourselves to the max, overworking ourselves at times, which some of us like to do and can be good. But most of the time it results in neglecting family and children, for which our lives pass us by. Next thing you know, little Johnny is going off to college and you don't even know him very well. Oh, the wonders of what it would be like to leave the office at 5 every day! I have to say, I'm pretty proud of myself. This new job I got allows me to do that, so far. I haven't had any crazy demands yet to sell my soul to Brookfield Corporate Drive, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment