Monday, June 28, 2010

Simple Living: A Dream to Be

There are moments at work when I get extremely bored. Because all my projects are quick turnarounds with finite objectives there are a lot of breaks filled with nothing but waiting for someone else to do something before I can. It's actually rather nice and a complete 180 from my last job. This industry (the tradeshow industry) operates in seasons, too, where the fall and spring are the busiest times of year, but the summer and winter are not. So, during those months of particular season we are not very busy. Again, very nice to have the downtime.

Having downtime gives me a lot of time to think, search the internet, think, write, search the internet, write, study, and search the internet. I know I am going to totally miss having these downtime moments when busy season picks back up! It's great having my own office, too, because I can just shut the door and read a book if I'm not doing anything (isn't that horrible?). I don't do it too often because I don't want to look stand-offish or uninterested.

Isaac and I went grocery shopping yesterday and spent more than we wanted to. We spent the kind of amount that is covered with a cough when said. It was really rather ridiculous. I distinctly remember Isaac saying to me as the granola bars were being scanned, "These granola bars are $4 hun!! $4!!!!!."

"It was a larger pack," I explained. "That's why there are $4."

Unforunately, he just doesn't come to the store with me enough to realize that that's what stuff costs these days. Things really aren't cheap anymore. He says he hates going to the store, but when he's there with me he's like a little kid looking up and down the aisles in awe thinking we need stuff we do not need! Needless to say, we spent an extra $40 on bathroom amenities. I do have to say that he brings a sense of spontaneity to the relationship, though, and does things that I normally wouldn't do. But they're always good things...things that I wouldn't do in an effort to save money or time. (For example, we've been using a towel as a shower bathmat for at least 6 months because I did not want to spend the money on one.) Thanks to Isaac, we now have a nice, new, real bathmat.

After stocking our fridge up with all the food we bought I sort of felt guilty. How many children have nothing to eat? Did I really need to buy two hunks of colby cheese? We throw away and waste more food today than I can remember. It is hard cooking for just two people, though. I mean we are a food society, aren't we? We center our lives around it and we don't even need half the junk we eat, or buy.

I have a friend from college whose blog I read from time to time and her way of living is the complete opposite of mine. She has two kids, lives in Arkansas, is a stay-at-home and work-at-home mother, line dries her clothes, gardens constantly, and cooks almost every night. I want to learn from her simplicity.

Incase you're interested, her website is: www.mamaseasons.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment