Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Goodbye Handerson, Hello Windsor.

We moved out of our condo on Handerson about two weeks ago and into a little bungalow on Windsor Avenue, just off of Fairview Avenue in Old Town.

Usually, I am devastated at such change - when we move out of one place and into another. Because, as we know, I am super-sentimental. 

I am obsessed with memories. I love and live for them, which is in part why I have scrapbooks up the ying yang and take photos of every solitary moment I think is worth savoring. 

I wrote a few weeks ago about rocking Levi to sleep and how I was going to miss hearing the Osbourn Park football games at night from our place, and the noises from the trains passing through. 

When we first looked at this place to rent I really didn’t think Isaac was going to go for it. It’s old…ER. It seemed smaller when we viewed it, and it had a big yard to cut. 

But he loved it.

Now I have to admit – I wasn’t a huge fan at first – a smaller one than he was, but now I am totally in love with this place.

It does have a few funky smells looming. Not sure if it’s from the previous tenants (smoke, dog hair, etc.), but it has a lot of character.

Things Windsor doesn’t have that Handerson did:
Garbage disposal
More counter space
Microwave
Ice maker
A 2nd bathroom

Things Windsor has that Handerson didn’t:
Yard
Sun Room
Den
Garage
Patio

Gosh that sounds grown up!

I realized we can “make do” without things to have other things we want instead.

Needless to say, we bought some ice cube trays, and a microwave. We share a bathroom, and our food remnants just go in the trash can. The new house makes creaks in the floor when we walk. The kitchen is outdated and there are some things I’ve tried to clean that won’t come up.

Yes, it’s a little more frustrating to deal with at times, but it’s really not as bad as it seemed at first.
I feel we are actually more blessed in this new space.

I don’t have to load up a cart with groceries when I get home and push it up to the building anymore. I just walk a few steps and I’m at my own front door. It bothers me that I use our front door! I want to be one of those people that use the back door, lol.
 
We can watch TV in the sun room without worrying about it being too loud and waking up Levi. AND do our laundry without guilt for the same reason. 

We will be able to get a grill and cook out.

There is storage space in the garage.

We have a laundry room!

And believe it or not – I have more cabinet space (older kitchen structure-makings were generous…newer homes seem to lack space even though they appear to have more).

Levi has a whole den area to play in that he hates right now.  But we are hopeful he will get used it.
And finally, I don’t have to miss the football games or train noises at all.

We are a block from the train and a block or so from Osbourn High School – the one we both graduated from. Football games here we come! Not to mention we can walk a minute up the street and see the baseball games from picnic tables stationed by the skate ramp. I took a run the other night and there was a game going. 

Speaking of running, I will also be able to run my old route. You know, the one I used to run when I lived at mom and pops when I was in high school? 

God is good.

We are blessed.

And all is well in the neighborhood. Mary Ellen said so herself! The lady across the street who brought us chicken and potato salad a few days into our move. 

Levi and I met her and her dog Teddy about a week ago. Leaves was a huge fan of Teddy…giggling and pulling at his poor hair.

And Diana introduced herself to us the other day as well. She has three refrigerators nestled in her driveway. Can we say Manassas?

I’m thinking those refrigerators are where she keeps her beers that she said she would invite us over for, to have in her backyard. 

This neighborhood is peaceful. 

And good for this moment.



Goodbye to six years of Handerson happiness...I remember when we first bought this place.









This is Isaac being goofy in the elevator getting the last of our stuff.

A rainbow happened to fall when we were making the last of the move. How relevant!





This is our new home on Windsor. A few pics to follow, but much still to be done.














A happy man in his back yard with his new lawn mower. Look at that space we got!


Patio.




Lots of room to play now!


Somebody is walking already.







And Grandma came to visit this week!


The two best grandmas in the world to Levi!




2 comments:

  1. Hmmm....no garbage disposal...sounds like a great time to start a compost pile for that wonderful garden you could have in your big back yard....

    ReplyDelete