Sunday, August 19, 2012

Musings After a Wednesday Company Meeting

I let my co-workers down. I fell. I didn't live up to standards:

I lost at limbo.

I fell flat on my back in front of the entire company. To boot, the president of our company was standing at the foot of the pole.

"But you did it with grace," a girl from Accounting said.

Yes, with grace.

70 people watching. My reputation on the line. Thinking I was one one hot mama for being picked to represent. And then the whole thing becomes a bust and my pride goes down the tubes.

Me, on my back, looking up at the ceiling, while they roar in laughter and I embarassingly walk to the sidelines where the other "losers" are.

Grace.

"You can promptly remove that part from the video you are taping," I said to the organizer of the meeting.

"What video?" she joked.

Let's just hope no one rewatches it, and that she didn't tape me flying backwards with my feet up in the air on the moon bounce, either. It was fun, though, I will admit.

The point of a company meeting: what is it?

I'm pretty sure most people moan and complain, and furthermore cringe, at the thought of a company meeting. I know I did at every single one at my last job. While I did get excited about seeing people from other offices and free food, I hated speaking, team building, and group activities. I'm actually terrible at mingling and, at the end of the day, does anybody really get anything out of it?

Company meetings are where it's not at.

Ours are bit different though because they involve beer kegs, mixed drinks, and eclectic sports and activities like the limbo, for example, and moon bounce bungee races.

If that isn't enough, we had a scavenger hunt, skits, and blindfolded booth building.

Let me just paint you a picture...

At 3 o' clock, Famous Dave's BBQ is catered in. Upon re-entry to the post-meeting party area we are adorned with leis and encouraged to go to the tiki bar. We mingle, we eat at our Hawaiin-themed tables, and afterward, we partake in the planned activities if we wish.

At 6:00 p.m. as the food and indoor games part of the party winds down, someone brings the kegs down the stairs and outside to our volleyball net so people can drink and play.

To a new girl who started on Monday, the owner says "This is what we do on Wednesdays."

He was joking of course, but that wasn't far from the truth.

"We" do like to party.

Of course I always get chided by the sales team and others that I never "do anything," like go out for drinks at Bob O's, for which they promptly went afterwards.

What can I say? I like to keep my distance for various reasons.

Although too often...I wonder how far I really am keeping it. Do people know who I am and what I stand for, as a believer?

I don't know if they do. 

I sat there with a Red Solo cup in my hand filled with Blue Moon, talking to a co-worker who has six kids, is younger than me, and is moving his family to Brazil to do missions work his church is funding. He knew I was a Christian, but I wondered what he thought of me.

Does he know this is beer in my hand? If he does, what does he think about me talking about the Lord at the same time?

I felt strange.

He didn't say anything, or even look, but I wondered if he thought I was a hypocrite.

I'm sure he has imperfections too. I try to remember that when I'm talking to people. Not that I use it to justify my actions, but just remembering that we are all human and have different walks with our Father. We know in our own hearts what is right and wrong. Nobody needs to tell us.

How are we representing our inheritance?

He was on fire, telling me about a mission outreach he's embarking upon with his wife and six kids...moving them to a new country to start something great, and I thought "What am I doing? I'm sitting here with this beer in my hand, telling him about my church. Does he think I am a terrible person? Maybe I AM a terrible person." The thoughts went on...

Having a beer isn't wrong, but that moment kept me mindful and alert to remember where I am, who I am with, why I am having one, and who might come across my path.


No comments:

Post a Comment