Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Living Vicariously Through My Dad?

My dad has been out of work for about a month.

Before that, he worked for his company for 22 years. Is that right?

I'm sure it's not and I got the number wrong. And I'm sure he'll reply to this post to confirm or correct it later.

Anyhow, this has been a turning point in his life. A good one. A hard one.

Some people say parents live vicariously through their children, whether it be a sports activity, an educational achievement, or a competitive goal of some kind.

And come to think of it, I have seen a lot of that. I hope I never do it, as a parent myself, because I want my child, and future children, to have and find their own ambitions and passions. And even if they mimic my interests, that they truly desire to seek them from their own heart, not as a payback for any of my losses.

I guess sometimes it's OK to do it though - in some circumstances - not over-dramatized, or for the wrong reasons.

I will be thrilled if Levi is a sports or fitness junkie.

Having said that, I think I'm actually doing "what people say" backwards.

My dad is in the epitome of his niche.

And because he has been forced to take a very loooong vacation, he is doing all the things he loves and more.

He is writing - books, blogs, newsletters. He is creating Facebook pages and Twitter accounts to promote himself. He is making a moniker for his deep-rooted calling.

He is going to meetings, and meeting people.

He is becoming more in tune with his soul.

He is seeking the Lord day and night.

He is helping people  - he went to "work out" with a paralyzed friend of his the other day.

I gotta say, when I heard that, I covered my mouth with my hand and died from laughter.

Not because he was helping someone. And not necessarily because he was even working out. But picturing him in the middle of the day doing arm exercises with another person when he normally would be at a desk, just CRACKS ME UP.

He asked me for the recipe to my Tortilla Soup the other day.

Planning on making that, dad? 

He has time to do things. To play. To think. To hear.

What can I say? I'm jealous.

He is doing exactly what I want to be doing, at some point in my future: from gaining business ground in social media to house projects.

Who says not working is a bad thing?

1 comment: