Friday, September 28, 2012

So long, Giant.

If you know me, you know I hate change. I don't know what it is about me that clings to consistency.

If something does have to change in my life, like a rug in my house, or getting a different car, or MOVING (for pete's sake, that was enough trauma for a decade), I do end up dealing with it and it all turns out fine. And then get I attached to the new thing that changed and don't want THAT to change.

All a viscious cycle.

But seriously, I do hate it. I like my things, and my routines, and my familiar faces at shops, and the Farmer's Market, and knowing what's coming and going - what to expect when I go places and everything remaining as is.

I don't like change of management, unless they're unfitting to begin with, or new operations and procedures, substitutes for things. I like to know that I'm going to taste the same flavor of coffee every morning, because I know it will satisfy me like it did the day before.

I like knowing when my shows are coming on each week, etc..

As such, I regret to inform you that another huge change has made it's debut.

The Giant at Manassas Junction is closing.

I found out this morning as I was checking my email before heading to work, and there it was on my morning Manassas Patch udpate:

"GIANT AT MANASSAS JUNCTION TO CLOSE NOV. 1."

I immediately clicked on the link to open the full article as it read, 'After a thorough review of the operating performance of our stores, we made a very difficult decision to close the Manassas Junction location,' said Anthony Hucker, president of Giant Food in a release.

The article was extremely short with no concrete information other than this, followed by comments from those in the community expressing their sadness.

The store has been open for 31 years.

The first opening sentence of the article said '...Giant...won't be around for Thanksgiving shopping this year."

My heart sank.

Isaac was holding Levi and laughed at my absurdity.

While he was laughing, my organs stopped working.

This is the end of a lifetime. HELLO?

Ok, maybe not a lifetime, but half of one, or a 1/3 of one. So many memories were created at this shopping center, and now I won't really have any reason to go.

With it's closing of Blockbuster earlier this year, the only good left will be Starubucks and a nail salon. Oh, and Dominos.

I will remember that cozy sidewalk, walking up to the front doors of the best produce in town with my lists of ingredients and bonus card to tote. What will happen to my gas points?

...and grabbing a redbox movie for the evening, or a frappucino for the ride to Fair Oaks with Isaac.

Drama much? I know. That's me with these types of things.

So long, Giant. I will miss you like the desert misses the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment