Thursday, December 13, 2012

Savannah in December


I've been waiting forever to write this post and even moreso been thinking about what I'd name it.

As you all know, last weekend Carrie and Anna and I went to Savannah for a friend's graduation. Fortunately, we didn't fight at all and most of our time was spent laughing (as we usually do). 

We took our leisurely time getting there stopping to pee every so often, and for coffee and this or that. It was enjoyable. And I actually finished my photography magazine, Exposed, that I've been dying to read ever since I got it in the mail. Not only does Jasmine Star have great photography and business building tips, but her life story and journey to becoming an entrepreneur was very captivating to read about. I. loved. every. page. of. it. I couldn't get enough. I didn't want it to end. 

More thoughts for a different post on another day, but what I found so interesting about her story was that she really did "expose" herself. Her struggles with having confidence in her industry and as a starving business builder were so relatable. She was real. She made sense. And she had (has) so much passion. I found her story completely motivating.

Having said a word about photography, below are about 59 photos I captured from our time (clearly her specific photography techniques have not been influential in my own photography yet, as you will see). Ones that I liked best and  appreciated most. They are by no means that great, but they were fun to take and I had a blast doing it (Anna may beg to differ as she and Carrie are my frequent models and get annoyed with me). 

But anyway, enjoy. 

And one quick note...Savannah. YOU MUST GO. 

There are so many words to describe it, but among the many are a few that stick out in my memory: dreamy, whimsical, move-like, eerie, mystical, beautiful, detail in every nook and cranny. 

There's so much I can say about our trip and how I felt when I was there looking at everything, but I think the pictures will describe it. PS - some of them were taken with my iPhone so the quality will not be as good.


In the car on the way!



 Arrival!

 
 

Our hotel. Despite it's rustic look (the indoor walls had a rustic garage look to them also) it was totally nice inside.



Lobby of our hotel.


 First night "on the town."










Savannah River in the background.



River St (right by the water).

Breathtaking early morning fog.





One of the coolest things about the city was the area right on River St. The buildings were so tall that their tops had connecting bridges to the main part of town  creating three levels. It kind of reminded of the New York Subway system, but not really. LOL.





This was the only picture we got of the three of us. It was right before graduation.





This is the Savannah Georgia Convention Center where the graduation was held. We had to take the ferry to it. The ferry was free and came every 15 minutes.


 View from ferry. It was unbelievable.




Congrats Niz!



In hindsight a rather crooked photo, but this is a theater from 1921.  So cute!


 

 Another thing I loved about the town was that the lampposts flickered all day and night. Did you know Savannah was known for "ghosts?" The overall eerie-ness provided a bit of a spook factor as the area is apparently rich in this history. 



 Paula Deen's Lady and Sons!!





Hello.





The moss in almost all the trees also provided a very wistful feeling.


Another thing I loved: the underground shops. Or bars. Or whatever they were. I don't really know because we didn't go, but they looked like underground alleys hosting bar entrances. Amazing.







This is where Anna's friend Liz "Niz" stayed. It was the Forsyth Park Inn Bed and Breakfast. Every bit of cuteness you could imagine inside. 





This was right before we left, snapping pictures from the outside. Stalk much?


This was right across the street and reminded me of The Secret Garden or The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.



 Along the sidewalks were engraved bricks. Engraved! How intricate is that?



More homes in downtown Savannah.





Moss.



I wanted to crawl up on the porch at the top of that house and drink a cup of coffee while reading a magazine.

Detail.




Goodbye Savannah. :( 



No comments:

Post a Comment