Sunday, March 14, 2010

The End of an Era

I am probably going to regret staying up so late, in the morning. I should be in bed. I should be fast asleep considering it's really 1am, instead of 12am. I should be preparing for springing forward. But no, here I sit nestled in my Big-land couch wrapped up in my green snuggie and listening to the raindrops.

Today was Carleton Raiford's funeral. A "gentle giant," a man of great faith, a servant, a warrior, a husband, friend, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. The room filled with many, today, symbolized honor. For we honored Carleton's life, his service, and his ministry of love and friendship.

There are not many people in the world like Carleton: that of grace with a twist of hilariousity. He was a riot.

I remember going to Kings Dominion with him sometime when he was in his 70s, I think. He loved those coasters. He lived for them. He would have ridden them up until the day he left us, if he could. He seemed to have no fear.

Mom said he would keep a coffee cup by his bedside at night and wake up in the middle of the night and take sips of it. Who does that? Only Carleton.

The Farm was, and is, a peaceful place. A place of rest and home to many. It was there my parents grew to develop the greatest bonds they ever knew, and make lifelong friends who lived for long afternoon chats and coffee breaks.

A few things I remember about being on the Farm with Kitty and Carleton were the tireswing in the front yard and the freshly cut grass. Carleton loved cutting the grass, and he was faithful at it even into his late years. Thinking of that freshly cut grass reminds me of picnics and get togethers and summer shind digs grilling hamburgers and hot dogs on their deck. I never got enough of them.

It was, indeed, a haven. It is a haven. And it will always be remembered as the Farm that Kitty and Carleton fostered many frienships in, including my family's. I don't think I ever said it to anyone but myself before, but I loved them. Very much. Though it may be the end of an era with their physical bodies no longer here, their legacy lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment