Sunday, March 21, 2010

Turn Up the Music and Turn Down the Noise

Yesterday I went to one of those "Ladies Retreats" at Clearriver with my mom and sisters. It was such a beautiful day. There was not a cloud in the sky and the birds were singing. What an irony it was because the theme of the day was "Turn up the music and turn down the noise." As such, Zibby had decorated the event with birds, which turned out to be a perfect correlation with the day's weather.

I never knew Zibby had a comedic tune to her disposition. She is such a cheery person with lots of gems to offer. I was truly touched by her words and immediately inspired to go home and study the bible after the day's end. Of course, I didn't right away. I ended up running errands, of course, but this morning I have begun reading the chronology of events in the NIV as they occur in real time...compliments of Zibby and her team. Thanks for the tips, Zibby!

And what an amazing journey it is, to begin reading the beginning, where all of creation was set in place and the breath of human life was formed. It occured to me, as I was reading this morning, that when we hear the terms "second chance, second man, etc." or second anything referring to the dying to sin, in the bible, that God really gave us a second chance at life. Originally, he had given the world a chance with the creation of Adam and Eve as new beings set to multiply the earth and subdue it, but when they ruined it by eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, he cursed them (that was the first chance). The "second" chance obviously came when died on the cross for our sins allowing us to become a new man. How cool is it that God gave us a second chance? He loved us that much.

The thing that stuck out to me the most about yesterday's study were the parts I heard from Zibby, and others, about listening to God instead of constantly talking. God is so timely because this was one of the main lessons of the meeting, and I have been struggling with this exact thing: learning how to press in without feeling guilty for not always having something to say. I always feel like I have to do the talking when I'm with God. Like, I always have to say things (perhaps it is my justification for making myself feel better) and mention everyone and their brother in my prayers. If I don't have an outline or feel like I covered all my bases, I feel guilty and get discouraged. It was such a relief to know that I don't have to do that all the time.

God wants us to just be in His presence sometimes, I think. He is not always looking for us to say something when we pray because frankly, a lot of times we probably just do it so we can cross it off our list and move on with our day. There is nothing wrong with just sitting in silence, taking in the peace and glory of His mercies and meditating on His word. As many of the women said, this is when they hear God most.

I like that I can press in just by being with Him and sitting with Him. I love that there is no pressure and that I have a place to feel completely vulnerable and transparent in. It's rather freeing.

Praise God for gems of wisdom from inspirational speakers and divine leaders like the women yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment