Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Making Your Home a Haven

I've been thinking lately about making a home a haven. I love my home. I love the way it smells, the way it looks, the way my couches invite me to relax. I love the paint on the walls and the pictures I picked out just for certain arrangements. I love my nightly and morning rituals of packing lunches and getting my coffee pot ready for the morning that will prepare me for the next day's events. I love my English muffins and my corny travel mugs that have seen many good conversations to and from work.

I love my bed, where I can snuggle up and not feel intimidated by anyone. It makes me feel so good. I love my bathroom with all my lotions and sprays that wait patiently for me to use them again. They know exactly how to lather my skin and make my legs shimmery. My three perfumes, which sit on my dresser, bring me aromas of goodness and make me feel pretty. My jewelry hangs so delicately in the closet, maintaining their sparkles and waiting for another job to accentuate my wardbrobe and decorate my outfit to the perfect tee.

I feel comfortable and good in my house. I can open the window for a cool breeze on a spring day or turn up the heat as high as I want to warm my bones. I can snuggle up in a blanket and sink into the nooks and crannies of my sofa or do a crazy dance in the middle of the foyer. My house doesn't care what I do, and that makes me feel good. It will never judge me. The walls will not criticize my singing skills and the mirrors will not shout at me with words of pressure to lose weight (though the mirrors never lie). I can surf the net 'til 2am or watch a movie that I've seen a thousand times. I can read my bible and pray aloud or meditate on good silence until I fall into slumber.

My home is who I am. I need it. I cherish it. I love it. And even though its never ending bills drive me mad, I still know it's all mine for the taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment