Thursday, December 2, 2010

Lesson Learned

Lastnight I taught my first Group Exercise Class to a handful of people at work. Six people, to be exact. A few folks had formed an Exercise Committee to "Fight the [Holiday] Flab" and so considering my interest in fitness they asked me to teach a Boot Camp class for anyone who wanted to participate. Of course, I jumped on it. I was stoked. I am stoked, as I am hoping these will continue for weeks and months to come.

But I sort of had a blow to my ego, a slap in my face, a feeling of foolishness come over me [insert anything else here related to the above] when I looked back to check to see how everyone was doing and marked beet red faces, dangling limbs, drooping eyes, and wide-opened jaws gasping for air. I even got a few groans and noticed a couple people mouthing the words, "Oh my gosh!!" to their neighbors. Apparently, I had made it way too hard.

The six people, which quite frankly was a pretty good turnout for a shindig like this, were from all different ranges and experience in fitness level. One had just had a baby a few months ago, so she was obviously just getting herself back in the groove of exercise, and another was a fitness queen. I knew she wouldn't have a problem with keeping up, but everyone else was on a different plane, their own unique levels.

When I was creating the routine it didn't seem that hard. I did get burnt out doing it a few times myself, but I still thought that the average person would be able to keep up. Little did I know that I would come to find out that I should have started much, much lighter. I learn to live and learn on trial and error.

I will definitely slow it down several pegs next time...but after all, it was a Boot Camp class. Boot Camp is supposed to be hard and challenging, and it is also supposed to push you. That's the only reason I ever got better, because I, myself, was pushed. But I learned yesterday that I've decided that what's important is that people should feel comfortable. I want them to not feel timid or shy or embarassed. I want people to enjoy themselves and to want to come back. I want them to feel good about themselves when they come in and when they leave. And I want my goal to be that modification is key. If a step is too hard, tone it down to a knotch that you can handle. Then, work your way up until it's more and more challenging for your own level until eventually you can do more.

But, at least I finally did it. I finally accomplished teaching a Group Class! Thanks to Carrie and Mom for letting me use them as guinney pigs. It helped so much! I think the hard work has only just begun in keeping it interesting, different, and challenging for everyone's own pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment