Thursday, February 16, 2012

Continuing to cut expenses...

As a follow-up to a previous post, Isaac and I have decided to cut more expenses.

As I mentioned before, we got rid of our gym memberships. Let's face it, there is no time to go to a gym anymore! But NO. Seriously. I think even if we did have time, we probably would cut the expense anyway. There is plenty I find that can be done at home and outside that doesn't require a gym.

We also had gotten rid of cable the last time I talked to you. It has been about three months strong now with Internet and Hulu alone. We absolutely love it. I don't even realize that real TV is available to society at this point.

Another plus side I find with not having cable is that because setting up my laptop to connect with the TV (if I want to watch on the big screen) is so much work when I'm busy with Levi in the evenings --

having to FIND the laptop, plugging it in, connecting the modem cord to the laptop, connecting the speaker cord to the laptop, and so on...

-- I don't even bother to have anything on. And if I do, I just turn on reruns of "Friends" from tbs.

So in a nutshell, there are nights when I don't even have the TV on at all, except for after he's asleep and I settle down to watch one of my shows.

And not that I think introducing kids to TV is bad, but I might have a feeling or two about getting them hooked on it so early on that they don't remember how to play independently. But who knows, my whole thinking on that might change in the future when he is bored and antsy and I have nine million things to do that don't require entertaining a toddler for three hours!

We also ended Netflix. We really don't have much time to watch movies, either. I can think of several nights when Levi has gone down to bed on a weekend night and our alone-time was upon us, and I fell asleep an hour in. :(

There are so many shows on Hulu that I am still behind on as it is!! Although I will be renting The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1. Nerd much?

The newest addtion to our pile of cut expenses is the Dodge Charger. It was a sad day for Isaac, but I think his happiness of being debt free from that outweighs the sadness. It was a HUGE relief off our shoulders.

One step closer to our goal...

He is now driving around a 99 Accord - stick shift - with one of those purchased CD players you can buy at Best Buy. Talk about a downgrade. Back to being a weiner at the station, lol.

But there is so much freedom in not owing anything.

Yeah, I have to watch my shows a day later, I have to go to Redbox to get a movie, and I can't turn on Fox News for background noise with the push of a button, but I really don't care. I like it. And I like knowing that we have these choices to make if we want to.

1 comment:

  1. You know... you should be able to stream hulu from the Playstation. That or get a streaming "box." They are like $75 at Best Buy (one time fee of course, still way cheaper than a monthly cable bill and it will last for years!) and allow you to stream everything to the TV without having to use your actual computer!

    ReplyDelete