Sunday, February 19, 2012

A dissapointing haircut doesn't mean a disappointing experience.

I got my haircut today at Fair Oaks Mall at a place called "Regis." Have you ever been there? I hadn't. I don't really spend a lot of money on hair cuts, or my hair period. But Isaac encouraged me to treat myself since it's my birthday tomorrow, so I did.


I gotta say, it's kind of well worth it.


My sisters always spend money on their hair, but I can't justify it. I don't think that any specialy salon will give a look better than Hair Cuttery or Great Clips. And I can buy a perfectly good box of Loreal dye at home and do it myself.


When I went to Regis, though, it sort of turned my image of that around and reminded me again of how much I love fashion and styling.


It was really cramped in there, with stylists roaming everywhere. The girl at the front desk had a bit of an attitude when I walked up, but since there was no line and no wait, I decided she was nice.

She had blonde highlights and makeup that looked as if it was tattoed on - it was cakey and bright and not believable. But she had a cute figure and I could tell she wanted to be high quality.


There were two older ladies who wore clothes like older ladies do, with patterns of cheetah prints on their shirts and shiny silver and gold belts. Their glasses with dark frames and stretch pants so tight you could see their underward lines.


Another guy, who I didn't realize was such until he turned around (and I'm still not quite sure, to be honest), was giving another guy a buzz cut in the back corner. He resembled Michael Jackson with his black hairdo and had tattos everywhere. He was clearly eccentric.

And my guy, the one doing my hair, was Asian. Short. With his shirt unbottoned in the front and a green necklace hanging down in between the V. He was so nice.

I felt pretty relaxed sitting there having someone else treat me. I closed my eyes while he blow-dried my hair, opening them from time to time to check on the progress and glance at the "Allure" magazine in my lap.

Isaac had taken Leaves off to one of those areas in the middle of the mall where they have plastic cars and trains that kids can climb all over. I can't believe that one day he'll be climbing them too!

Back to the Salon.

As I looked around at the various people doing hair and noted their passion, and listened to the runway-like music going, I got a small dose of what it must be like in the real deal - the real runway. Models being primped and prepped and trying on different outfits and heels and wearing all shades of lipstick with diverse characters dressing them.

Fashion excites me. Hair excites me. Style excites me. I love wearing lipstick and earrings, accessories, and clothes that are jagged. And today in that salon, I was reminded that it really is something important to me in my life. Not in a consuming way, but a way that helps women, helps me, feel better about myself.

Who knows, perhaps I am in the wrong industry!

The funny thing about this whole thing is that I really didn't care for my hair cut, lol. Not because Rency did a bad job or that he didn't do what I asked. I just don't think I like it very much. Though it's healthier, I feel like too much was cut off and that I look frumpy. I hate short hair!

I know it'll grow soon enough, but the waiting is rough.

Off to Middleburg with my men tomorrow - cross your fingers that the snow melts!

No comments:

Post a Comment