Monday, May 27, 2013

I'm not afraid to stop anymore.

I feel old saying that. And when I tell you what it pertains to you'll know what I mean.

I used to beat myself up when I went running. If I felt nauseous, I kept going. If I had stomach pains, I pushed through. But I don't anymore.

Yesterday, I went running and my stomach started hurting so I stopped and walked. It was quite pleasant and uplifting. The breeze to my face and the wind at my back I steadied my pace and slowed it down. If I had continued on, I knew it would have hurt worse.

How did I do it before all those years? I have.no.idea.

The fact of the matter is I think I was afraid to stop. I wouldn't have felt complete, my run wouldn't have felt thorough enough, and I would've felt like a slacker. It would have ruined my day.

I've come to the conclusion now that I don't need to be on the brink of hurling before I allow myself to stop. In fact, I enjoy walking just as much as I do running. It actually allows me the chance to pay attention to the houses and neighborhoods on our street, take in my surroundings, and be a little playful.

It makes me feel good that I'm not afraid to stop. That I don't have to feel like my whole day's joy depends on how hard I exercise. And while I do like to push myself, I also like to feel like I have enjoyed my workout.

God bless America on this Memorial Day! Off for my run... :)

PS - I made "Thin Mint Protein Fudge" yesterday. A little dry, but pretty delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment