Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day Recap

Yesterday was Mother's Day. A day to celebrate moms. So that's exactly what we did.



Isaac bought me chocolate covered strawberries from Edible Arrangements. They were beautiful, AND yummy.



We also had a nice little cookout with family, which was followed by an afternoon of pampering with my sister and niece. Pedis and french manis were had, and I even sprung for a much needed eyebrow wax.






Levi slept right through the cookout (hello new record!) and didn't wake until a little after 4 when we we were already gone. He was a tired boy! And I think he was catching up from being behind on sleep a few days before. He does do that from time to time.

And did I tell you that Carrie made her first post-Michael's classes cake for our shindig? It was very wedding-y. And yummy, I might add. She done good!



Motherhood means a lot to me. Being a mother means a lot to me. There was a time, many times, when we weren't sure if wanted kids or that we were sure we could even have them. But God is good and He always makes a way. And now, I can't imagine life without little Levi and I already want another one!

He is a piece of work though, and is currently in a "drive-your-mom-up-the-wall" state. He is unpredictably cranky and if he doesn't get his "songs" (i.e. my old iPod which we now call HIS iPod  - what is the world coming to? A 1 1/2 year old with an iPod. Dang, we're softies), he throws the biggest whine-fest you've ever seen.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we are those parents. Yes.

From newborn to toddler, I look back at his short life and cannot believe how much he has evolved. Like any child, the changes from baby to tot occur almost overnight. One moment I'm cleaning spitup off my shoulder and the next I'm chasing him around the yard with the wagon.

Time just goes too fast.

I cannot begin to explain what it feels like to be his mom. To simply hear him say the words "mama" and have a sense of need for me wells my heart with joy and pride.

You don't realize how successful you want your kids to be - or that you want them to be healthy or safe - until you bear one and raise one. And even then, this explanation still doesn't depict the true depth of how you long for their best until you see their beautiful faces for the first time and experience their exploring journey through their eyes.

I am looking forward to a million more moments as a mother because I have enjoyed all of the past. The ups, the downs, the sweet potato mush, the poop, the shooting pee, first haircuts, the dancing, the bedtime stories, and so much more.







Proverbs paints the most beautiful picture of wives and mothers. Though the path brings challenges and it is not light, may we women find our strength in these words, clinging to His wisdom and raising our children the way that Proverbs teaches.

I have bolded a few lines, which touch me the most.

Proverbs 31:15-31

15She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.


No comments:

Post a Comment