Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Conversations with my Father

"When was the last time you really talked to Him?" the voice in my head asked me as I sat there this early morning on the couch in my sunroom.

I was curled up in my warm blue blanket, nestled in my favorite nook, reading, as I do of late, and sipping my coffee goodness.

"Breaking Free" by Beth Moore has taught me this: my quiet time with the Lord has taken a back seat.

As she and I share stories on pages each morning I can feel and touch my Father. I am beginning to "find Him" again.

I'm not a huge fan of Beth Moore, actually. And this book hasn't been particularly captivating either, but I appreciate Moore's research and scripture references, and reading it has reminded me that devotion with Him is so important. What does life mean without conversation with our Father?

A particular passage struck me this morning. I don't have the book near me and can't remember word for word how she put it, but she explained a time in her life when her earthly father was having a stroke and she rode with him in the ambulance to the hospital. In that moment, she clung to her heavenly Father in time of desperation and fear. I imagine she cried out to Him for grace, healing, and comfort.

"This is what we do in times of desperation. We find ourselves calling out to Him only when we need help. And it was then I realized that I need to be talking to my Father on a daily basis as if He were my friend, not just someone to turn to in crisis," she said.

Those were not her exact words. But it's how I remember the passage in my head, and it sounds much better as a quote than a regular summary. :)

"When was the last time you really talked to Him?" that voice resounded.

If you ask my family, they'll you I've been so annoyed lately at everything: traffic, Levi's whining, the ANTS in my house, laundry, the rain, I mean you name it. And I know I've been nagging Isaac at every-little-thing that's not done my way. He's so patient with me.

God, teach me to talk to you.

This is what I need. It's what He desires. For me to talk to Him on a constant basis throughout the day as if He were my friend. Because after all, He IS my friend. The most reliable One I can have.

Perhaps if I was making Him a part of my every day routine, life would be a little less annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment