Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lunch breaks have opened up a whole new world for me...

Before I had Levi I didn't really take a lunch break. I ate at my desk and worked through. Or used the hour to surf the net and check email. I didn't really need a lunch. And frankly I didn't feel like going anywhere. It was too much effort to walk to the car, LOL.

But now, I find lunch breaks are my life saver.

Today during lunch I sat at a table facing a window, the bright sun shining on my face while I read People magazine. I was waiting for my toenails to dry from the pedicure I just had.

Jessica, my friend and co-worker, was there with me.

She and I had decided to jet outta the office for an afternoon break and make our feet pretty for this lovely weather we've been having. Nobody wants to wear sandals with unpainted toes!!

Jessica had her baby, Luke, two weeks after I had Levi. And let-me-tell-ya, having her to commiserate with during pregnancy, and share stories and worries and milestones with about baby stuff today, has been wonderful. We laugh, we tear, we ask eachother how the other is handling such and so, and so on - and it's fun. And nice. It makes raising Levi relatable and easier.

We have a lot in common.

And today we just needed a break and someone to treat us!

Getting pedis and manis aren't the only thing I do at lunch though. Although it was a rarity, it is becoming more traditional in my life!

I also have found that exercising during lunch is the perfect time of day. Since I am not a morning person and up until recently, it has been dark out by the time I get home, I didn't have any other time to do it.

Now I do.

I pack my workout clothes with me and run up and down the hills of this corporate metro center.

Sometimes it's a little embarassing as I see my co-workers drive to lunch and here I am running wildly, perfuseling sweating bullets, and trying to dodge cars while crossing the street. They must think I am nuts. Well I am. We all knew that.

But seriously these lunch breaks...golden.

I also use my hour to run errands, particularly baby errands. Every time I turn around we need diapers or formula, and what better opportunity than during lunch to get them.

Note: Wal-Mart just opened right across the street in Fast Food Alley. Danger zone!

I'm so grateful for these lunch breaks. If I didn't have this time to run to the post office and mail birthday gifts to relatives or set up Dr's Appts. or, sorry, go shopping at Marshall's, what would I do?

I really don't know.

But I'm so thankful for it.

And just these past few weeks with the nice weather I've made it out running at least 5 or 6 times. Sometimes I am joined by a brisk warm-up walk with Jessica and our boss, which makes things more pleasant.

Small blessings are those that are right in front of our eyes that we forget we have - or don't realize we have.

Who says you can't be a mom and work a workout in too?

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment