Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Upper East Side in Leesburg?

It's crazy that Route 50 can take you all the way from the hardcore country to the hardcore city in about an hour.

I went to a baby shower today in Leesburg for a good friend of mine. And Leesburg is on the country-end of which I speak, but it does have some city life to it - from your modern-day Marshall's and Ross to your historic downtown district. I actually go to Leesburg from time to time as my grandmother lives there. But I didn't realize until today how country it actually it is. And how ridiculously nice it is.

I'd been to this house the baby shower was held before. For a wedding reception for the same couple who is now having a baby.

I noticed it was nice then. But I'd only been hanging out outside at the time, around the tiki-torch lit party tent. And I didn't get a chance to see much on the inside.

Today I was inside, surrounded by your upper-class Americans. And they were warm, and friendly, and sweet.

As I made my way to the shower "area" I was immediately taken back by the pristine organization of the party and the extremely intricate details of the planning. The entire thing flowed with her nursery theme and the hosts had even taken paint chips from the couple's baby room to have the letters of the baby name painted on wood blocks to set atop the fireplace, among other things.

Breakfast was offered as a buffet, which served Belgian waffes, sausage, bacon and various fruits, including my personal favorite: kiwi.

A friend had also made cupcakes that were decorated to every sweet-toothed woman's delight, and were neatly set in cupcake holders. Did I mention the buffet was catered with hired help?

There was no professional photographer taking pictures, but her brother-in-law was there for the first half snapping photos with professional gear. He left mid-way to fly to Atlanta to do a "shoot" I later learned. To them, it was "just another gig."

I didn't mention the gifts yet. They were stacked mile-high with different wrapping paper for each. And as the mothers and sister-in-law brought them in, they kept coming, and coming and coming. 

There were so many people there. And my friend, mom-to-be, said she didn't know half of them. I think they are all part of her husband's side of the family, whose parents owned the house.

We took a photo shoot on the stairwell. Need we say more?

Everyone. And I mean everyone (except for maybe one or two), I thought, was dressed to the nines.

Isaac and I are the farthest thing right now from keepin' up with the Joneses so I couldn't relate too well, aside from my love for fashiony things.

But I felt really good today anyway - at peace. And that's a place I haven't been in awhile.

As I looked around this gorgeous, emaculate home, with all the pretty people and pretty things, I thought of the upper east side in New York City. And I felt like we were all there in one of those fancy parties, where a gift from Tiffany's is almost expected. It was fun for a moment.

And I thought...

How could this be? We are 30 minutes from Manassas? LOL.





P.S. - I won the baby game and this was my prize!


No comments:

Post a Comment